10.10.2015

Going the distance for my health

Hey Guys,

So,  my "nutritionist" savvy mom has given me many health books to read but, right now they are not on my propriety list since I've been reading more institutional literature due to school. I'm usually on my phone watching lifestyle videos and reading up on stuff that is benefiting me to write a post. Today, I wanted to recommend some lifestyle changes that I've talked about before but, before I want recommend some literature and help from the vegan online community this time. Most of books I'm going to be commenting on have their own meal plans and nutritional road maps. So, here are some good reads that my mom would totally recommend:

1) Prescription for Nutritional Healing
 This book is a great way to find out how solve health problems naturally. It's basically the encyclopedia of health the natural way.

2) The Micronutrient Miracle: The 28-Day Plan to Lose Weight, Increase Your Energy, and Reverse Disease
This book is like handbook version of the first book that you can take on the go for simple lite reading.

3) Kale and Coffee
My mom loves this guys approach to food and how inclusive his writing is. And, even before my my mom bought his book she was fan of his wife, Annmarie Gianni, who has her own line of Cruelty Free Vegan cosmetics and skincare.  But on the other hand, he doesn't push vegan diet or the lifestyle on anyone.

4) SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your LifeSimple Changes to Get the Most Out of Life for the Rest of Your Life
This book may seem a bit dated or less informative but it is more geared towards direct foods and lifestyle options that can change your life.

5) 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health
Dr. Barnard has amazing program for starting vegan diet/lifestyle. I highly recommend his book and website, a great starting point to vegan diet and lifestyle.

6) The 22-Day Revolution: The Plant-Based Program That Will Transform Your Body, Reset Your Habits, and Change Your Life
This last one is base on popularity: We all know this book if your in the beehive and it great that more celebs are turning vegan. This book just came out this year but I recommend you read Dr. Barnard's 21-day book before reading this book to see both Clinical and Physiological aspects of both books. I think starting with the Vegan Kickstarter then follow up with this diet lifestyle book would be a great plan of action.

Anyways, if your having a hard time getting to the grocery store then try this website called Thrive Market. I've never heard of them until my mom got package from them my first impression of them is that similar to Blue Apron but Thrive Market specializes in Natural & Non-Toxic Products without the retail price tag.

The reason why I have decided to stay vegan is because of the human condition has made us into over consuming monsters, and I especially hate that we continue to support using factory farming practices and techniques, and the lack of transparency on the huge masking of health problems it has done to put the meat on the table literally; antibiotics and chemicals, quantity over quality . Until this type of practice is done away with I'll be sticking to this plant based diet.

 So, moving on to some personal favorite lifestyle vegan coaches. I found that there is a lot ambiguities within the community. We all probably ran into the Banana Girl and her fruit bats and her Rawtill4 bros. I think their lifestyle is great but not right for someone like me or anyone planning to go cold turkey literally off of meat products. I personally don't think this diet plan that would be good starting point to a vegan lifestyle or even to lose weight off the bat. (If you have a lot of time on your hands and are just looking for something different to eat and want to exercise then, give it try.) It's like questioning, why human race decided to not evolve/diversify. So, I kept looking for better options being that I didn't find any scientific basis to back up her or their claims and their strategies are such selfishly ignorant pushed on to people and starting vegans. The problem in this world is that society has lock people into labels and preconceive notions; people don't read they just listen; hollow shells are formed; and it has been like this for centuries. I wonder if people will at least snap of this societal norm.

Anyways, I found someone who I was looking for in Savy's Earthling Nutrition that she uses knowledge wisely and doesn't corrupted it with here say. She's done a full analysis on the Rawtill4 diet, many of their claims to support the diet, and has been self teaching (Autodidacticist) herself  about how scientifically the body works and metabolizes macro and micro nutrients. She has very philosophical and scientific approach to the vegan diet, health disorders, and diseases where she takes about Dr. Barnard study.  So, I would highly recommend you go check her out and she also, has a nutrition e-book.

Wow, I did not expect this to be a long post but no matter, I just wanted to share this with people struggling to lose weight or find something new or are having issue with skin problems. But before I end this post I wanted to talk about key minerals/ vitamins that you might be missing in your diet that cause hormonal or skin issues like Ance. I really recommend you buy first two books because they go in depth on this these topics. First is...

Vitamin A: cod liver oil, liver, dandelion greens, sweet potato, carrot, kale, pumpkin, apricot, papaya, pea, seaweed and mango; and since I've talked about in depth already here is a link to that post.

Second, on the list is Vitamin Bs: 1, Thiamine: Oatmeal, Asparagus, Oranges, Liver, and Yeast; 2. Riboflavin: milk, cheese, leaf vegetables, liver, kidneys, legumes, yeast, mushrooms, and almonds 3. Niacin: Red/ White Meat, Avocados, Nuts, Mushrooms, and Peanut Butter; 5. Pantothenic acid: Avocados, Whole Grains, Legumes, Eggs, and Yogurt; 6. pyridoxine, pyridoxal, pyridoxamine: Red Meat, Bananas, Chickpeas, Potatoes, and Pistachios; 7. Biotin: Egg Yolk, Liver, and Saskatoon berries/pigeon berry; 9. Folic acid: Avocado, Liver, Yeast, Asparagus; and 12,  which I already talked about in this post however it can be food in Nutritional Yeast, Sea weed, Tempeh, and Wheat (Barley) Grass.

Third is Vitamin C, Acerola, Rose hip, Red pepper, Chili pepper, Guava, Parsley, Broccoli, Kiwifruit, Papaya, Strawberry, Brussels sprouts, and Orange; which I already talked about in this post.

Next, Vitamin E sources: Sunflower oil, Almond oil, spinach, turnip, beet greens, collard greens, and dandelion greens, Avocados, Sesame oil, Asparagus, Kiwifruit Pumpkin, and Broccoli. Vitamin E is a fat-soluble nutrient found in many foods. In the body, it acts as an antioxidant, helping to prevent cellular degradation caused by free radicals from food and the environment.

Lastly, Zinc: wheat (germ and bran) and various seeds (sesame, poppy, alfalfa, celery, mustard), beans, nuts, almonds, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and blackcurrant. Zinc helps the immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses. The body also needs zinc to make proteins and DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Deficiency consequences including stunted growth and acute diarrhea in children, and slow wound healing.

If you have allergies as well than calcium magnesium: whole grains, nuts, and green vegetables, selenium: Brazil nuts, Bread, Oatmeal, Spinach, Pork, Lentils, marinara, beef, turkey, chicken, fish, shellfish, and eggs, and Omega-6: sunflower, safflower, soy, sesame,  need to be incorporated into your diet.

Warning: Multivitamins often contain cyanocobalamin, where the cobalt catalyst is strongly bound to cyanide making B12 inactive.  Avidin is a protein in egg whites that inhibits the absorption of biotin. Pyrithiamine is similar to thiamine, vitamin B1, and inhibits the enzymes that use thiamine. Bioactive forms of vitamin are safer and effective.

~GL


0 comments :

Post a Comment