6.26.2024

My Top K-pop Songs So far in 2024

 Hey Subbies,


I wrote a dissertation before re-editing repeatedly, but something told me I needed to get this out soon. After my Trip to WDW, I was drained especially since I also got sick towards the end of my trip. Oh someone tried to break into my car in May so I was busy filling a police report and an insurance claim to get my car door fixed. I really want to edit but I took many photos, so I'm a bit exhausted. Then I went down the HYBE vs MHJ rabbit hole no pun intended and people with sense are over it at this point "Ignorance must be bliss for the many but Two wrongs don't make it right." MHJ I knew too much about this woman before she signed on to HYBE but I see some things never change. And why are we okay with throwing innocents under the bus to shield adult's bad behavior. I've been alluding to this in past music posts but HYBE has been an overdue restructuring, especially in the Planning & Communications and Talent Cultivation departments. May into June there were all kinds of beefs and I was waiting for people to come to their senses. I was waiting for a Mera video to drop or my other YouTubers that took a hiatus to drop some gems because some of the gurls were wild'n and they needed to take a mental health break. Then people out here really trying my patience with child-like behavior not just online but offline.

Anyway, I want to talk about the comebacks and the amazing sample literal what I wanted to see from K-pop this year has just been out of this world because I couldn't stand the generic overused 80s synth that kept haunting us. First, I did not expect Chungha to drop two bops the choreo is fire and her new label giving her creative outlet to create is what she needed she was seriously READY, and if she doesn't get to perform a main stage at the end of the year awards I will riot. I didn't expect Mr. Vampire to make up the Spotify ranks because on YT Music it was Untouchable all day every day but the production is so good that I can't skip being bitten by that song I guess. Kiss of Life's Midas Touch is seriously a Y2K Britney coded  Moulin Rouge Lady Marmalade's Collaboration with Christina, Kim, Mya, P!nk with a Medusa, Aphrodite, Arachne, and Lakshmi/Hera escalating all the senses. NCT Dream's Smoothie was like watching a version of all three Matrix Movies plus Red Velvet's Red Flavor had a baby; I've been updating my WordPress and added a couple things for SMCU; and people don't know NCT+ WAYV love their Innuendos. Okay, LE SSERAFIM's Good Bones although an interlude was giving major Durarara opening monologue vibes side note: aespa's Drama logo and concept had to be influenced by this show too. As for Easy it's another chill hip hop track and choreo fits the song to a T. Moving on to aespa and according to my stats Supernova is Interstellar (And yes I watched the movie again because I usually fall asleep during the important parts and it was spurned on by Suho and RIIZE's comebacks) and the use of Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock sample was Chef kiss and the THAT'S HOT" cake gets it a Y2K check mark. DXMON's Burn Up is a pre-debut song that sounds like it should be a song debut and they are definitely Rock and Final Fantasy inspired that Taeyong's hair in Ay-Yo now lives rent-free in my head. TEN is literally up and down my Spotify stats I'm surprised he didn't place in the top 6 artists but I didn't expect another movie reference.  

MY 10 TOP ARTISTS SO FAR

1 Chungha

2 ITZY

3. aespa

4. Seventeen

5. IU

6. ATEEZ (Going to their tour)

7. IVE 

8. LE SSERAFIM

9. Kiss of Life

10. NMIXX


MY TOP SONG OF THE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR


Chungha I'm Ready
 & Eenie Meenie ft Ateez Hongjoong
Kiss of Life - Midas Touch
NCT DREAM - Smoothie
LE SSERAFIM - Good Bones/ EASY 
aespa - Supernova
DXMON - Burn Up
TVXQ - Rebel

Why did I think of (G)i-dle song as "One More Rollie" by Changmo lol in all seriousness, it was a very chill hip song but it sounds better in the car Twice's Rush is definitely giving Y2K, especially with those funky synths, bass drum, and high hats. The LA LA LA Girls aka TripleS have done it again and if you don't know they are in a parallel universe as LOONA so instead of 12 there are 24 girls represented by Crows which is on par with  NCT memberships but I've been wanting to do a post about how much closer SMCU is to the LOONACU since LSM worked with LOONA after Jaden left. ARTMS finally (re)debuted with their title track Virtual Angel and make sure to watch it with your "Human Eyes," I really like Air which is a culmination of their works. Birth tops my list due to the very 00s rift and Flower Rhythm was giving me major vibes J-pop ElectroPop vibes i.e. Perfume's 2007 Polyrhythm. NCT Wish's debut was giving me major East Coast/ NY 90/00's hip hop with Eros/Cupid and Psyche storyline, oh last year it was Crashes that ended in flames and now it falling from the heavens concept-wise for SM. Everyone this Q2 has been giving me my childhood Live-action version of Senshi-genre vibes from aespa's Sentai Daft Punk-influenced Licorice to IVE's Sailor Moon Maho Shojo/Magical Girl concept with Accendio. BABYMONSTER's SHESSH had to check it out for the use of Arabic scale and the overused YG sound and I was here for the rap line so I can't wait for the analysis archetype videos to come out to see if they actually create a new sound outside of YG stagnation. I'm surprised YooA Rofttop is on the list but another song with a crow concept plus a lot of people didn't know that she studied Hip Hop but they only saw her as a pretty face with the voice of an angel I guess. 

Honorable Mentions

(G)i-idle - Rollie
TWICE - Rush
Kim Jonghyeon - MOTTO
TripleS - Girls Never Die
AB6IX - Grab Me
NCT WISH - WISH
SEOLA - Without U
ARTMS - Birth (Going to their tour)
TWS - Unplugged boy
IVE - Accendio
YENA - Damn u
BABYMONSTER - SHEESH
YooA - Rooftop

 

0 comments :

Post a Comment